After visiting Athens and the Acropolis, then island hopping to Mykonos, Santorini and Crete, we finally went back to Athens for our 4 Day Classical Tour and Meteora. This was a Bus Tour and we had an excellent time thanks to our enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide, Eleni Nikolaki, and our bus driver, Plato. We highly recommend Key Tours and her. Eleni was a passionate guide and was great to talk to every day because we learned new things about our Greek culture, even Mum was amazed with her. The archaeological sites we went to were:
- Monasteries of Meteora
It was awesome to be at these archaeological sites, especially Epidauros where I had written an essay on the god of healing and miracles, Asklepios for uni (I bought a small statue figurine) and Olympia, Mycenae and Delphi which I have studied at uni and high school. And I was astounded with seeing the monuments and statues up so close – I felt like a spoilt little girl 😛
We had an amazing time, met Aussies on the tour and two girls from Canada, and I was overloaded with so much research for my Third Novel and Historical Fiction in general. Cannot wait to go back to Greece again, and this time, to Italy as well – I’m dying to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum that I studied for the HSC in Year 12 at school.
This was the itinerary of our tour:
Day 1 Start: Athens
Travel to: CORINTH CANAL, MYCENAE, EPIDAURUS
- Drive to Corinth Canal (short stop).
- Continue to Epidaurus and visit the ancient theatre, world famous for its outstanding acoustics.
- Proceed to Nafplia and through the plain of Argos arrive into Mycenae.
- Visit the archaeological site and the tomb of Agamemnon.
- In the afternoon drive to Olympia through the cities of Tripolis and Megalopolis.
- Overnight in Olympia.
Day 2 Start: Olympia
- Morning visit the archaeological site with the Sanctuary of Olympian Zeus, the Ancient Theatre and the Olympic Stadium and Museum.
- Proceed to Patras, cross the recently rebuilt bridge from Rio to Antarion crossing the picturesque town of Nafpaktos.
- Arrive into Delphi.
- In the afternoon visit the picturesque mountain village of Arachova.
- Dinner and overnight stay. (B,D) Delphi Palace or similar
Day 3 Start: Delphi
- Morning visit of the famous museum of Delphi.
- Departure to Kalambaka passing through numerous picturesque villages and typical towns of Central Greece.
- Dinner and overnight in Kalambaka. (B,D) Divani Hotel or similar
Day 4 Start: Kalambaka
- Note: Modest dress code is required. No shorts, no sleeveless tops. Women are required to wear
- long skirts (no pants).
- In the morning visit Meteora, where ageless monasteries strikingly sit perched on top of huge rocks. Here you will see exquisite specimens of Byzantine Art housed inside the monasteries.
- Return to Athens via Trikala, Lamia, Thermopylae (see the Leonidas’s Monument) and Kammena Vourla.
- Arrive in Athens early evening.
Key Tours website of our tour: http://www.keytours.gr/tours/athens/four_day_classical_greece_tour_epidaurus_mycenae_olympia_delphi_meteora-34.html